Liposuction is a popular cosmetic surgical procedure for women and men eager to improve their body’s shape by removing stubborn, isolated fat deposits that lifestyle changes – including dieting and exercising – have not been able to erase.
If you’re considering liposuction, it’s important to educate yourself about the procedure, developing realistic expectations about what the procedure can achieve. That will help you determine if liposuction will be right for you and ensure you’ll be happy with the results.
To help inform your decision, we’ve put together a guide highlighting three key things you should keep in mind when considering liposuction.
1. Liposuction Is a Body Sculpting Procedure
It’s important to remember that liposuction is not a weight loss solution. It will deliver the best results for patients already close to their ideal weight, but who have been unable to ride themselves of fat deposits in trouble spots around their:
Ultimately, liposuction is a body sculpting procedure. Even if you only lose a few pounds, you’ll be removing fat from areas that are cosmetically important. That will help re-contour your body and produce impressive, dramatic-looking results.
2. Liposuction Can’t Remove Excess Skin
To ensure the best outcome, your skin should have enough elasticity to adjust to your body’s new shape. If you need to remove significant amounts of excess skin, you might want to consider pairing liposuction with a procedure like a tummy tuck.
If you have concerns about loose skin after liposuction, discuss them with your cosmetic surgeon so they can provide appropriate advice.
3. Future Weight Gain Can Affect Liposuction Results
Liposuction removes fat cells permanently from a targeted area, which makes the results more or less permanent. If you gain a little bit of weight after your procedure, existing fat cells will only get a bit bigger. Gaining a significant amount of weight, however, can cause new fat cells to develop – even in treated areas.
It’s important to take steps to maintain results after your procedure:
- Eat Healthy: Make sure your diet includes lean proteins, fruits and vegetables, and whole grains and avoids processed, carb-heavy, or sugary foods. If you need guidance on making changes, work with a registered dietician who can help you brainstorm creative ideas suited to your lifestyle.
- Exercise Regularly: Combine simple steps – like taking the stairs instead of the elevator – with more intensive workout routines to stay fit. Remember, it’s important to find the exercise regimen that will work best for you. Some people like to find that one thing and stick to it, while others like to switch it up every few months. Finding the right balance will make it easier for you to keep active over the long-term.
Making proactive lifestyle changes before your procedure can ease the transition and help speed your body’s natural healing processes.
Follow Your Cosmetic Surgeon’s Advice to Guarantee the Best Results
Liposuction is an outpatient procedure performed under general anaesthesia, and recovery is often relatively easy and quick:
- Most patients can return to work within a few days. You can resume normal activities (e.g. moderate exercise) in about two weeks and strenuous exercises (e.g. heavy lifting) in about six weeks.
- You should begin moving around (starting with short, easy walks) as soon as you feel comfortable to minimize the risk for blood clots
- Your cosmetic surgeon will require you wear a compression garment, which minimizes swelling and encourages skin contraction.
Your cosmetic surgeon will discuss recovery expectations with you – based on factors like how much fat was removed and where it was taken from like – and provide guidance on how to maintain your results. Following their advice will produce the best results and ensure you’ll be able to enjoy your body’s improved shape for years to come.
Since 1994, Brampton Cosmetic has been performing liposuction procedures that exceed patients’ expectations. Our clinic serves clients in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), including Brampton and Mississauga. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!
Like this post? Check out:
- Winter Skin Care Tips & Essentials for Winter Skin Care Problems - November 18, 2022
- PRP Injection Therapy for Skincare - October 21, 2022
- Skin Health Basics: Tips for Healthy Skin - September 26, 2022
- Get Glowing Skin Before the New Semester With Our Glo Skin Giveaway! - August 8, 2022
- What is Bela MD? Luxurious Treatments to Reveal Gorgeous - July 1, 2022