Liposuction is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures available – favoured as an ideal way to remove stubborn, unwanted fat in targeted areas like your legs, arms, stomach, thighs, and more.
We’ve put together this list of five dos and don’ts to help you learn more about what to expect before and after a liposuction procedure:
1. DO Research the Procedure
It’s important to do your homework on any cosmetic procedure you’re considering, including liposuction. Liposuction is a body sculpting procedure designed to target areas like:
Even if you only shed a few pounds, you’ll be getting rid of fat in areas that are cosmetically important to re-contour your shape and produce dramatic-looking results.
Keep in mind that liposuction might not be the only procedure that’s suitable for you. For the best results, your skin needs to have enough elasticity to adjust to your body’s new shape. If significant amounts of excess skin need to be removed, you might consider pairing liposuction with a procedure like a tummy tuck.
What would be best – liposuction or a tummy tuck? Read our blog to find out which one might be right for you!
2. DO Follow Your Cosmetic Surgeon’s Post-Operative Instructions
Typically, recovery is relatively quick after liposuction:
- You can expect to start moving around (short, easy walks) as soon as you feel ready. This will also help reduce the risk of blood clots.
- Most people will be able to go back to work within a few days. You’ll be able to resume your normal activities (including moderate exercise) in about two weeks, though you’ll need to wait roughly six weeks for more strenuous workouts (like heavy lifting).
- You will need to wear a compression garment to minimize swelling and encourage your skin to contract and heal.
Your cosmetic surgeon will discuss what you can expect during your recovery (based on procedure-specific factors) and offer guidance on how you can maintain your results.
3. DO Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle and Weight
Remember, liposuction is not a weight loss solution. To see the best results, patients should be close to (or at) their goal weight and looking to treat unshakable trouble spots. Putting on a little bit of weight will only cause existing fat cells to get a bit bigger, while gaining too much will lead to new fat cells developing – even in areas that were treated.
To maintain your healthy lifestyle, make sure you:
- Eat Healthy: Fill your diet with fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. Make sure you exclude (or at least severely limit) carb-heavy, processed, and sugary foods.
- Exercise Regularly: Pair simple steps – like using stairs in place of an elevator – with more intense workout routines. Remember, the key is to find an exercise regimen that suits your lifestyle.
It’s important to make proactive changes before your liposuction procedure. It will be easier to carry on that lifestyle after your surgery and can actually help speed up your body’s natural healing process.
Check out these six tips for maintaining your liposuction results!
4. DON’T Expect to See Instant Results
For the first few weeks after your procedure you should expect the treated areas to experience some swelling. That will subside over two to five weeks. Wearing your compression garment (as your cosmetic surgeon recommends) will help reduce swelling and promote a smoother healing process.
Remember that, although you’ll begin to see results in the weeks following your procedure, the final results will take longer to materialize (roughly six to twelve months). Your cosmetic surgeon will discuss healing expectations with you prior to your procedure.
5. DON’T Hesitate to Ask Questions
Whenever you have a question – whether before your procedure or after – don’t hesitate to ask! Your cosmetic surgeon is there to give you the answers that will ultimately help you decide if liposuction will be right for you.
Is a tighter tummy on your mind? At the Brampton Cosmetic Surgery and Medical Spa, our experienced team – led by Dr. Robert Sleightholm – has been performing safe and effective liposuction procedures since 1994. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!
Like this post? Check out:
- 3 Realistic Expectations for Your Liposuction Procedure
- Before, During, and After: A Look at the Cosmetic Liposuction Surgery Process
- What to Expect After a Tummy Tuck Surgery
- How Lip Fillers Can Help With Facial Balancing - March 1, 2023
- Celebrating National Lash Day: Your Guide to Lash Extensions - February 8, 2023
- Brampton Cosmetic Surgery Center and Medical Spa’s Holiday Gift Guide 2022 - December 9, 2022
- Winter Skin Care Tips & Essentials for Winter Skin Care Problems - November 18, 2022
- PRP Injection Therapy for Skincare - October 21, 2022
Comments are closed.