A successful cosmetic surgery experience starts with a good consultation, that one-on-one conversation you have with a cosmetic surgeon about the procedure (or procedures) you’re considering. To get the most out of your consult, it’s important to be ready to ask the right questions that will prepare you for your procedure.
Keep reading to learn the five questions you need to ask during your cosmetic surgery consultation:
1. Does the Cosmetic Surgeon Have the Correct Certifications?
Not all cosmetic surgeons are created equal. In Ontario, general physicians are able to label themselves “Cosmetic Surgeons” and perform cosmetic surgeries. Plastic surgeons – by contrast – must be specially educated to carry out these procedures, complete at least five years of training after obtaining their medical degrees, and pass a comprehensive examination administered by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada before receiving certification to perform both cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgeries.
Other accreditations to keep an eye out for include those from:
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- The Canadian Society for Aesthetic (Cosmetic) Plastic Surgery
- The Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons
You should also find out whether or not the cosmetic surgeon has out of hospital admitting privileges, which will enable them to use hospital facilities if necessary.
2. How Experienced is the Cosmetic Surgeon with the Procedure You’re Considering?
Some cosmetic surgeons will specialize in body-shaping procedures like tummy tucks, while others will focus on facial procedures like eyelid lifts. You should find a cosmetic surgeon with experience in the procedure you want to ensure the best results.
Take a look at before and after photos to get a sense of the body types they’ve worked with, techniques they use, and results you might be able to expect.
3. Is the Cosmetic Surgery Clinic Certified, Clean, and Comfortable?
In Ontario, cosmetic surgery clinics should be certified by the Out-of-Hospital Inspection Program (OHPIP). After being given oversight in 2010, the Canadian College of Physicians of Ontario developed OHPIP to ensure cosmetic surgery clinics operate with the same medical standards as other healthcare institutions including hospitals.
Other things to reflect on when visiting a clinic include:
- Do you find the staff friendly, helpful, and positive?
- Is the facility well maintained and clean?
- Do you feel comfortable to be there?
4. What Can You Expect When Recovering from Your Cosmetic Surgery?
It’s important to factor healing expectations into your decision, as you need to make sure you’ll be able to take the time necessary to recuperate. Recovery might involve wearing compression garments or taking time off from work, looking after young children, exercising, or lifting heavy things for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.
If you feel anxious about recovery time being too long, share those concerns openly with your cosmetic surgeon. They’ll be able to talk with you about what will be best for you, including other options you might be able to explore.
5. How Much Will Your Cosmetic Surgery Cost?
The total price for your cosmetic surgery procedure will include a number of variables like:
- Surgeon’s fees.
- Operating room expenses.
- Materials (particularly for procedures like breast augmentations).
Keep in mind that prices will vary between patients as every person has unique needs. Reputable cosmetic surgeons will be able to provide you with individualized quotes and give you time to reflect on your decision.
Remember that, although you need to factor the cost of the procedure into your selection, you shouldn’t make a choice based purely on it. Choosing to undergo cosmetic surgery can be a major, life-changing decision. If a price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
If you’re unsure about how you’ll be able to afford your procedure, ask your cosmetic surgeon about the financing options that might be available for you.
Do you have questions about financing your cosmetic surgery? Read our blog for answers!
Whatever questions you have about the cosmetic surgery procedure (or procedures) you’re considering, it’s important to have an open and honest conversation about them with your cosmetic surgeon during your consultation. That will help prepare you and ensure you’re satisfied with the results you see!
The Brampton Cosmetic Surgery Center and Medical Spa has been performing cosmetic procedures in the Mississauga, Brampton and Greater Toronto Areas since 1994 under the direction of Dr. Robert Sleightholm. If you are considering a cosmetic surgery procedure, please contact us to arrange for a consultation.
Like this post? Check out:
- How to Maintain Your Cosmetic Surgery Results
- What Time is the Right Time for a Mommy Makeover?
- Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck: Which is Right for Me?
- National Skincare Awareness Month: How Brampton Cosmetic Surgery Center & Medical Spa Can Revitalize Your Skin - September 22, 2023
- Get Smart About Your Skincare with Higher Education Products - August 16, 2023
- The Best Summer Skin Care Tips Under the Sun - July 26, 2023
- Luxurious Men’s Skincare Gift Ideas for A Pampered Father’s Day - June 15, 2023
- How to Create The Best Summer Skincare Routine - May 12, 2023