Undergoing a breast augmentation can be a life changing experience for many women, enhancing their shape by boosting the size of their breasts using implants. Before undergoing a breast augmentation, you need to be prepared – knowing some key information about what they involve and what outcomes you can expect.
We’ve put together this list of five must-know things about breast augmentations to help you get ready for your procedure:
1. You Will Choose the Type of Implant You Want
The two most common types of implants used during a breast augmentation are saline and silicone:
- Saline breast implants are first inserted as empty silicone pouches before being filled with sterile salt water to give them their shape. Saline implants typically leave smaller scars and are good for correcting minor cases of asymmetry.
- Silicone breast implants are made entirely of silicone gel. Unlike their saline counterparts, silicone implants are inserted at their full size. They often give patients a more natural look and feel, though they come with a higher price tag.
Do you want to know more about the differences between saline and silicone implants? Click here to read our earlier blog!
2. A Breast Augmentation Isn’t Your Only Option
Depending on the result you’re looking to achieve, you might want to consider a breast lift instead of or in conjunction with a breast augmentation:
- A breast augmentation increases the size of your breasts with implants, which works well when sagging is mild and your nipples are still centred.
- A breast lift helps to elevate sagging breasts to a higher position, though it will not make your breasts larger on its own. An areola lift could also be involved.
Your cosmetic surgeon might recommend having both a breast augmentation and lift to raise your breasts and enhance their shape. An experienced cosmetic surgeon will help you explore your options, so work with them to find out what would be best for you.
To learn more about breast augmentations versus breast lifts, check out our blog!
3. Results Will Take Time to Materialize
One of the most important things to keep in mind is that a breast augmentation won’t produce immediate results. A breast augmentation is a serious surgical procedure, which is why you need to give your body time to recover.
Make sure that you:
- Take all medications as prescribed.
- Wear compression garments as your cosmetic surgeon instructs.
- Avoid engaging in strenuous physical activities for at least three to four weeks.
Remember to be patient with your breasts, as they can take up to a year to take their final form. Letting your body heal and giving it time to adapt to the changes will guarantee the best results.
4. Breast Implants Won’t Last Forever
Although technological advancements in recent years mean breast implants are lasting longer than ever, they still aren’t designed to last a lifetime. Most manufacturers say their implants will need to be removed or replaced in about ten years. In reality, implants can last twenty years or more under the right circumstances.
5. Choosing the Right Doctor Matters
Choosing to undergo a breast augmentation means making a major investment in yourself. To ensure the best outcome, it’s crucial to find the right cosmetic surgeon to carry out the procedure.
In choosing your surgeon, make sure you take into account:
- The surgeon’s credentials. Not all cosmetic surgeons are plastic surgeons – and that matters. Plastic surgeons are trained to perform surgical procedures like breast augmentations and are certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Cosmetic surgeons, on the other hand, can be general physicians who give themselves the label of “cosmetic surgeon.”
- The surgeon’s areas of specialization. Some specialize in body shaping procedures like breast augmentations, while others concentrate on facial procedures like face lifts.
- The cosmetic surgery clinic’s standards and staff. The clinic itself needs to be certified by the Out-of-Hospital Premises Inspection Program (OHPIP), which validates that the clinic operates under the same medical and safety standards as hospitals. The staff should be professional, friendly, and helpful – making you feel safe and comfortable as they work with you through the process.
- Results from past procedures. Look at before and after galleries to see what experiences past patients have had. During your consultation, be open and honest with your cosmetic surgeon so you can talk frankly about the outcomes you can expect after your breast augmentation.
Going into your breast augmentation knowing what you can expect to achieve is key to being happy with the results you see. Working with an experienced cosmetic surgeon will help you turn the vision you have for yourself into a reality – giving you confidence in your body for years to come.
Do you want beautiful, natural-looking breasts that enhance your shape? Work with the experienced team at Brampton Cosmetic to boost your figure! Contact us today to schedule a consultation.
Like this post? Check out: