Liposuction is an ideal cosmetic surgery procedure for patients looking to perfect their shape and contour their body; taking off those few stubborn pounds that dieting and exercising have been unable to shake. Liposuction is not, however, a weight loss solution. To maintain your new figure, it’s important to take steps that will help you stick to a healthy lifestyle and weight.
Check out these six tips for maintaining your liposuction results long term:
1. Follow a Healthy Diet
To enjoy your body’s new post-liposuction shape, you need to make sure you keep up a healthy diet after your procedure:
- Choose starchy carbohydrates, especially wholegrains.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid saturated fats and refined sugars.
- Consume less salt.
- Favour lean proteins like chicken and fish.
If you feel stuck in a rut and want help developing new meal plans, work with a registered dietician to come up with ideas for healthy eating.
2. Drink Plenty of Water During the Day
Straight-and-simple water is one of the healthiest drinks you can choose day to day. The general recommendation is that adults should try to consume about two litres of water per day, though that will fluctuate depending on factors like your body type and activity levels.
The health benefits of water include:
- Balancing Your Body’s Fluids: Your body is roughly 60% water. Maintaining proper fluid levels helps you to regulate your temperature, digest food, and transport nutrients.
- Controlling Calories: Drinking more water will help you feel fuller, curbing cravings and making it easier to keep your weight in check.
- Boosting Productivity: Watch out, caffeine. There’s a new fatigue buster in town. Keeping hydrated can help you focus throughout the day – maximizing productivity to let you get more done.
3. Don’t Skip Meals
Skipping a meal can happen for a variety of reasons. Sometimes you forget because you’re too busy. Other times you’re just too tired to put something together. But remember, meal skipping is a dangerous habit to get into:
- It will cause your metabolism to slow down. Missing meals causes your body to go into “starvation mode,” increasing fat storing enzymes and decreasing your metabolism to make your body more efficient at storing those precious calories it’s not being given regular access to.
- You’ll suffer from increased levels of stress. When you don’t give your body the energy it needs to keep you going, it will release adrenaline and other hormones to give you a boost. Over the short term this is fine, but you don’t want your body to constantly be in a heightened state of alertness. That can lead to health problems down the road including high blood pressure, headaches and migraines, trouble sleeping, and more.
- Your ability to focus will be compromised. Without a supply of carbohydrates – your brain’s favourite focus food – you might find it harder to concentrate or remember things throughout your day. If your blood sugar begins to drop, you’ll also feel yourself get nauseous, shaky, or dizzy. If this begins to happen, it’s time to grab a nutritious snack to get your body back into its healthy rhythm.
Instead of waiting until you’re hungry to have a full meal, try eating several smaller meals throughout the day. This will help you to maintain consistent energy levels.
4. Exercise Regularly
Exercising is important for staying healthy and lean. Strength exercises will help you stay toned, while aerobic workouts will keep fat off.
You can take simple steps like:
- Taking the stairs whenever possible
- Doing some easy cardio (jumping jacks, squats, or crunches) while enjoying your favourite TV shows
- Making sure you get up and move around for a few minutes every 30-60 minutes, especially if you spend most of your day working at a desk.
Remember, the most important thing is to find the routine that works with your lifestyle. Some need to run solo or hit up the machines at the gym for some well-deserved “me time,” while others stay motivated by joining a sports team or group. Even still, some people will find one favourite and stick to it. Others will switch it up every few months to keep things different. Ultimately, finding what’s right for you will make it easier to stick to long-term.
5. Follow Your Cosmetic Surgeon’s Advice
Following your cosmetic surgeon’s post-operative guidance is the best way to ensure a smooth, healthy recovery:
- Your cosmetic surgeon will advise you to wear a compression garment for a given amount of time after your liposuction procedure, which will reduce swelling and help your body adjust to its new shape. It’s important to wear the compression garment for as long as they recommend.
- You should begin moving around as soon as you feel comfortable to minimize swelling and risks for blood clots, but don’t engage in any strenuous activities for three to four weeks after your procedure. Initially, you’ll need to take it slowly to give yourself time to heal. Trying to do too much too soon can hurt you and negatively affect the results of your procedure.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, make sure you talk with your cosmetic surgeon about them before your liposuction procedure. Your surgeon will work with you to make sure you’re as comfortable as possible while you heal and give you all the information you need to maintain your new figure.
6. Develop a Healthy Lifestyle Before Your Liposuction Procedure
The reality is that you’ll find these types of activities and behaviours easier to keep up if they’re already part of your pre-procedure rhythm. Finding your ideal diet and exercise balance beforehand will help you maintain that lifestyle long term, letting you enjoy your new body for years to come.
Since 1994, Brampton Cosmetic has been performing liposuction procedures that exceed patients’ expectations. Our clinic serves clients in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), including Brampton and Mississauga. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!
Like this post? Check out:
- 3 Realistic Expectations for Your Liposuction Procedure
- Before, During, and After: A Look at the Cosmetic Liposuction Surgery Process
- What to Expect After a Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Winter Skin Care Tips & Essentials for Winter Skin Care Problems - November 18, 2022
- PRP Injection Therapy for Skincare - October 21, 2022
- Skin Health Basics: Tips for Healthy Skin - September 26, 2022
- Get Glowing Skin Before the New Semester With Our Glo Skin Giveaway! - August 8, 2022
- What is Bela MD? Luxurious Treatments to Reveal Gorgeous - July 1, 2022