Even after careful dieting and exercising have helped you reach your ideal weight, many people – women and men alike – find themselves dogged by a little bit of extra fat or too-loose skin around their midsection. Liposuction or tummy tucks can both help create an improved body contour, but how do you decide which will be right for you?
We’ve created this guide to help you decide which procedure will best meet your needs:
When Should I Consider Liposuction?
Liposuction is ideal for people already at or very near their target weight with good skin elasticity and muscle tone, removing isolated fat deposits in a variety of targeted areas including the abdomen, chest, and hips.
Unlike a tummy tuck, liposuction will not get rid of excess skin or deal with issues resulting from poor abdominal muscle tone like stretch marks. Liposuction does, however, offer relatively short recovery times. Most patients are able to resume their normal day-to-day activities within a week. Any bruising will disappear in two to four weeks, though you’ll still need to wear a compression garment for about six weeks to manage swelling and guarantee the best results.
Do you know what to expect from your liposuction procedure? Click here to learn about three of the realistic expectations you can have for your body!
When Should I Consider a Tummy Tuck?
A tummy tuck is best for removing excess fat and skin, while also tightening loosened abdominal muscles – giving you a firmer, flatter midsection.
Candidates for tummy tucks have often:
- Lost weight already through dieting and exercising.
- Been dealing with stretched, sagging, and loose skin caused by weight loss or pregnancy.
- Always had a protruding belly, even when they’re in the best shape.
- Experienced one or more pregnancies.
A tummy tuck is a more invasive procedure than liposuction, as your cosmetic surgeon needs to make an incision and tighten your abdominal muscles. As a result, you should expect longer recovery times and more visible scarring. An experienced surgeon, however, will ensure your scar is hidden below your bikini line for maximum discretion.
Which Option – Liposuction, a Tummy Tuck, or Both – Will be Best for Me?
Depending on the problem areas you’re looking to correct, it might make sense for you to have both procedures done. In reality, liposuction typically goes hand-in-hand with a tummy tuck so your cosmetic surgeon can liposuction the upper part of your abdomen while you’re still under general anaesthesia. Having liposuction and a tummy tuck together can also target stubborn fat deposits around your hips, tights, lumbar, and thoracic.
To decide what will be best course of action for you, work with an experienced cosmetic surgeon. They’ll be able to guide you on what will both keep you safe and produce the best results, giving you newfound confidence in your figure for years to come.
Is a tighter tummy on your mind? At the Brampton Cosmetic Surgery and Medical Spa, our experienced team – led by Dr. Robert Sleightholm – has been performing safe and effective liposuction and tummy tuck procedures since 1994. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!
Like this post? Check out:
- 6 Tips for Maintaining Your Liposuction Results
- What to Expect After a Tummy Tuck Surgery
- What to Expect Before and After Cosmetic Surgery at the Brampton Cosmetic Surgery and Medical Spa
- Get Smart About Your Skincare with Higher Education Products - August 16, 2023
- The Best Summer Skin Care Tips Under the Sun - July 26, 2023
- Luxurious Men’s Skincare Gift Ideas for A Pampered Father’s Day - June 15, 2023
- How to Create The Best Summer Skincare Routine - May 12, 2023
- 10 Mother’s Day Beauty Gift Ideas to Pamper the Mom in Your Life - April 13, 2023