After regimented dieting and exercising, do you still find yourself carrying a little bit too much excess skin or fat around your midsection? Tummy tucks help to firm and flatten your abdomen by tightening the muscles, getting rid of extra fat, and removing too-loose skin.
But when is the right time for you to consider a tummy tuck?
1. Wait to Have a Tummy Tuck Until You’re At or Near Your Ideal Weight
One of the most important things to understand about a tummy tuck is that it is not a weight loss solution.
As your body weight increases, so too does the amount of visceral fat (also called abdominal fat) that builds up inside your abdominal cavity between organs like your liver, kidneys, or stomach. Visceral fat is different from subcutaneous fat (located underneath your skin), the specific type of fat both tummy tucks and liposuction target.
To burn away visceral fat and improve your overall health, it’s important to:
- Adopt a healthy nutrition plan featuring fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, complex carbohydrates like lentils and beans, cooking oils containing monounsaturated fats (like olive, peanut, canola, sesame, or safflower), or vegetable-based oils (sunflower, coconut, grapeseed, or avocado).
- Boost the amount of time and intensity of your exercises, making an effort to work out for at least thirty minutes per day. Losing five to ten percent of your total body weight can help you significantly reduce your stores of visceral fat. Try activities like brisk walking, circuit training, high-intensity interval training, or biking.
- Maintain positive lifestyle habits including drinking moderately, stopping smoking, avoiding processed foods, and getting the right amount of sleep.
- Keep yourself motivated! Remember that weight loss isn’t going to happen overnight. Changes will come gradually, so it’s important that you remain diligent and stick to your diet and exercise program.
Are you trying to choose between liposuction and a tummy tuck? Read our blog to find out which will be right for you!
2. Plan Your Tummy Tuck After You’re Done Having Children
Pregnancy and childbirth puts significant stress on your body – especially your abdomen. After having children, women will often find their abdominal muscles stretched and stomach more rounded. This condition (sometimes called diastasis recti) can also be accompanied by side effects like stretch marks and soft tissue.
Keep in mind that a tummy tuck won’t prevent you from becoming pregnant in the future. It is likely, though, that any post-tummy tuck results will be compromised as your abdominal muscles will need to stretch to accommodate your healthy, growing baby.
3. Make Sure You’re Ready to Rest and Follow Post-Operative Guidelines After Your Tummy Tuck
Since a tummy tuck is a major surgical procedure, you’re going to need to be prepared to take time to heal:
- You should expect to spend at least two weeks (or more depending on the nature of your job) relaxing at home before returning to work.
- It will be roughly six weeks before you can resume more strenuous activities and exercises.
- If you have small children at home, keep in mind that you won’t be able to pick them up for a few weeks (it’s recommended you wait at least six weeks before lifting more than five pounds).
Your cosmetic surgeon will also instruct you to wear a compression garment for at least six weeks after your procedure to reduce discomfort and swelling. To ensure the best results, make sure you always follow the advice your cosmetic surgeon gives you.
4. Think About the Time of Year You’d like to Undergo Your Tummy Tuck
For many people, this decision comes down to personal preference. Fall and winter do tend to be popular, since you’ll be ready in time for bikini season and compression garments can be warm and easier to hide under heavier clothing. If, however, you’re a fan of winter sports like skiing or skating, spring or summer might make more sense for you.
Work with an experienced cosmetic surgeon to decide what will be best. They’ll be able to work with you to find the approach that will be safe and give you the results (and body!) you’ve been dreaming about.
Brampton Cosmetic safely performs tummy tucks that exceed patients’ expectations. Our clinic has been serving clients in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), including Brampton and Mississauga, since 1994. Contact us today to schedule a consultation!
Like this post? Check out:
- What to Expect After a Tummy Tuck Surgery
- 6 Tips for Maintaining Your Liposuction Results
- What Time is the Right Time for a Mommy Makeover?
- Meet Dr. Jason Hu! - August 27, 2019
- Debunking 7 Common Botox Myths - July 23, 2019
- Meet Our Newest Nurse, Jacqueline Victoria! - July 15, 2019
- Why Antioxidants Are Good for Your Skin - April 18, 2019
- Dr. Sleightholm Travels to Europe to Attend an expert2expert Course and Visit Teoxane’s Geneva Headquarters - March 4, 2019